The Award acknowledges the work of Weed Professionals and their outstanding contribution towards protecting NSW from the impacts of weeds.
- Download and complete the Nomination Form, ensuring that the Eligibility and Judging criteria are clearly addressed.
- Make sure all sections of the Nomination Form are completed and the contact details for the nominee and the person nominating are included in the application. Please note, the person nominating may be contacted during the judging process.
- Answers must be written within the space supplied. Electronic or hard copies will be accepted.
- Send completed nominations by 30th June in years when a NSW Biennial Weeds Conference is held to:
Weed Professional Award
Weed Society of New South Wales
PO Box 6
Muswellbrook NSW 2333
Eligibility and Judging
Any weed professional working in weed management in NSW (eg. State Government, Local Land Services, National Parks & Wildlife Service, Landcare, private enterprise, etc) is eligible to apply.
Nominees should be in a professional role that is involved with the management of weeds in NSW at a local, regional or state level. Nominees will have made a significant contribution in managing weeds in their area through planning, coordination, weed control or community education between 2015 – 2017.
Past nominees and finalists are eligible to be nominated in recognition of new significant contributions to weed management.
All nominations are to be submitted by the closing date of 30 June in the year of the NSW Biennial Weeds Conference. Nominees will be notified by mail of their nomination for the Award and presented with a Certificate of Acknowledgement.
A panel of judges will meet to review the nominations and may request more information or documents to support the application. The judges will be looking for evidence regarding the nominee’s achievements, integrated approach to weed management, strategic planning, engagement of project partners, technical expertise and professional development.
Finalists and the winner of the Award will be announced and presented at the NSW Biennial Weeds Conference.
The winner of the Award will receive a presentation medal and will hold a perpetual trophy for the following two years.
The Weed Society of New South Wales Inc. has generously donated $500.00 to the winner* to be used towards travel costs to attend a conference of their choice.
*To claim the $500 prize of the donating Society, the winner -
- Must be a current financial member of The Weed Society of New South Wales Inc, and continuously been a financial member for more than one year
- The winner must gain their employer’s approval to attend the conference. If the employer does not grant approval the money may be used towards training costs.
To apply for membership to The Weeds Society of New South Wales Inc. visit http://nswweedsoc.org.au , or contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
2019 Mel Hall, Office of Environment & Heritage
2017 Pete Turner, Office of Environment & Heritage
2015 Lorna Adlem, Hunter Local Land Services