Sydney Weeds Professional Forum
||18 Oct 2013
||18 Oct 2013
||Sydney Weeds Committee
What: The Sydney Weeds Committees are hosting a one day technical forum for weed management professionals and operational staff working across the Greater Sydney and Blue Mountains region.
When: Friday 18th October 2013
Where: NSW Teachers Federation Conference Centre, Surry Hills (10 minute walk from Central station)
View Larger Map
Why: To build capacity of the weed management workforce in theSydney region. To share new technical information, knowledge, strategies and experiences. It's also a chance network and make new contacts in the industry.
Who: This forum is for local, state and federal government land managers, private companies, contractors/consultants, reserve trusts, non-government organisations and groups, and academics.
Cost: Registration Fee and program TBA
Suggested topics, tips, case studies and presentations so far:
- Managing the highest risk weeds - successes and lesson learnt
- New and emerging weeds (as well as some weeds that have not yet arrived here)
- Population and ecology - how plants become weeds
- Climate change forecasts forSydney- which weeds/types of weeds might more easily establish here in the future
- Weed control and protecting habitat - native fauna living in heavily weed infested environments
- New chemicals and trials - effectiveness, toxicity, permits
- Biocontrol - latest research and results
- The hard to control weeds - ideas for what to do with them
- Non-herbicide options for weed control
- Successful regional projects
- Bush regenerator and weeds inspector - a good model for how they can work together well
- Successful use of technology/social media/websites etc to assist with regional co-ordination and community education
- Changes on the horizon: NSW government reforms, policy and legislation
Planning is now under way. This forum is for the people working in the Greater Sydney region, and our neighbouring councils/regions.
Please contact me if you:
- Would like to make a presentation?
- Know of any good research relating to these above topics?
- Know of a good speaker that we can approach?
- Know of any academics/post grad students doing good research?
Contact: Rosanna Luca,Project OfficerSydneyWeeds Action ProjectEmail:Rosanna.Luca@cma.nsw.gov.auPhone: 9895 7488 (Wed - Fri)
- Would like to suggest other topics?
- Would like to be part of the forum planning team (leading up to the day/ on the day)?